Friday, November 16, 2007

Painting the Long-eared Jerboa

I had a very hard time with this jerboa. I could only find about 5 reference photos. I try to watch video of an animal if I'm unfamiliar with its structure, to see how it moves and get a better idea of it as a 3D critter. The 2-second clip of a long-eared jerboa did not help at all. I did some other sketches of different poses, but I'm not very happy with how any turned out. I may come back and redo this one when I finish all the others. I also have a hard time mixing the correct color of this thing; that weird grayish-brownish color. It kept coming out greenish. Oh well, can't win 'em all!

It doesn't help much that my cat was sitting on my desk the whole time I painted this. I sit by a window to get some natural light, and my cat likes to look out the window at birds, so her tail was whipping around in my paint and over my paper, and she kept trying to drink my paint water.

No comments: