Sunday, October 14, 2007

Painting the Bumblebee Bat


All of the paintings of the ten focal species will be watercolor on Bristol board. I'm using Winsor & Newton Artists' paints, from both tubes and half pans. I have a Cotman brush, and brought out the big guns by using my Series 7 W&N brush, size 3. Since I can't work very wet on the bristol, I used a lot of thin layers of color. I can't do large washes, so it's trial and error in coming up with ways to try to blend the colors smoothly. Each piece will be completed on a 5"x7" paper.

Bats have always been hard for me to draw. Their arms and legs have strange structures; they're so bony, and their wings can bend in lots of weird ways. Their legs and feet almost seem upside down to me. I had one photo I took of taxidermied bumblebee bats to work from, and a few other photo references and illustrations. I like this bat's fuzzy round body.

No comments: