Saturday, September 1, 2007

The EDGE of Existence

The Zoological Society of London has created a program to protect the world's most Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered animals, called the EDGE of Existence. Researchers have come up with a list of 100 unique mammal species that have few close living relatives and are in danger of extinction. Their goal is to begin conservation efforts for these poorly known animals.

I have always been interested in the strange and unusual animal species. When I read about this project, I decided that I would like to try to make an illustration of each of the 100 EDGE mammals. I hope that this personal challenge helps to raise awareness for these species. I'll be posting my paintings, along with more information about the species, as I finish them. I don't have any set date in mind to have them all finished, and I don't even know if I can find enough reference on each species. But I hope that I'll have illustrated the ten focal species for 2007 by the end of the year.

No comments: